Thursday, January 27, 2011

Following The Rocky Road

I didn't know, when I decided to follow Jesus, what a rocky road it would be.

According to the Gospel of Mark, Jesus "saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, 'Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.' Then they left their nets and followed him' (cf. 1:16-18).

If you take Mark at his word, you have to wonder what happened to Simon's fishing business. When Jesus called James and John, "they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him" (cf. 1:19-20). I wonder how Zebedee felt about that.

When the blind Bartimaeus received his sight (cf. Mk 10:52), he too followed Jesus and his entourage up the road.

And when Saul was stopped on the road to Damascus, his decision to follow Jesus took him to Greece and Rome and death.

The origins of the popular Gospel song I Have Decided To Follow Jesus are lost in history. We do not know who wrote the lyrics, but song historians think the music is a folk melody from India.

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.


Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back.


No turning back! I made the choice, and I must persevere.

Mark does offer some consolation. Jesus sent his apostles out on the road, and when they returned from their trip, he welcomed them with compassion, "Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest awhile" (6:31).

And just what are the consequences of following Jesus?

When two of John the Baptist's followers were tempted to follow Jesus, they asked rather sheepishly, "Rabbi, where do you stay?" and he gave them a less than precise answer: "Come and see!"

Following Jesus is by its very nature an adventure. You just do not, indeed cannot, know where the road will lead nor what you may encounter along the way. But you do have this assurance from him, "I am the way. I will be with you. Follow me."

As comforting as these assurances are, it soon dawns on those who follow, "His way is the way of the cross. His presence with us is mediated through faith. His itinerary leads us through death to life."

Jesus never twisted anybody's arm. He issued an invitation. The response is up to those who follow.

Most of us find it intimidating and tiring to follow the leader. And yet we have the best GPS (God Positioning System) anyone could possibly want.

If Dorothy had to follow the yellow brick road, and Moses had to cross a hostile desert, I suppose I can follow Jesus with even greater assurance that I shall find my home in the promised land.

It's just that once in awhile there's something within me that wants to complain, to examine again whether this trip is really necessary, to be assured that though I once was lost now I am found.

Happily, when I complain about the rocky road, Jesus smiles and reminds me, "It's ice cream, my friend. It's ice cream." Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment